Thursday, May 31, 2012

Green is the Color of Love


My friend Steve usually has inspiring things to post. A few days ago, he posted a thought that I really enjoyed. In a simplified version, it said something like this, “We become what we behold”- Now this statement is quite intriguing to think about. The responsibility of making change in my life really rests in my pursuit of God.  I mused this around in my head for awhile and turned it inside out, then I started thinking in reverse.  Not only should we behold God, but we can do so with the knowledge that God beholds us!

Now the biblical definition of behold is to fix the eyes upon, to see with attention, and to observe with care.  The depth of His concern goes even further. It is the difference between just feeling what someone is going through and actually living what they are going through, almost “Avatarish.” As usual, it reminded me, of a little story that illustrates it so well.

The summer of 2007 was incredibly exciting for us. Our daughter was getting married in July.  June found most of our family in Lewiston, Idaho to watch the Collegiate World Series. Even more exciting was that not only was our son, Ben playing, but also our future son-in-law, Brad. Brad was also recognized as a Champion of Character at the Opening Ceremonies. Our young men’s team didn’t win the title, but we all had a great time. 

Upon losing the final round that knocked us out of contention, both families gathered at the hotel Jacuzzi for a little R & R. For those who know our daughter Bethie, know that she is always in motion. I guess it’s a gift a kindergarten teacher needs! It was of no surprise to us that she made herself a human ball and was rolling around beneath the surface of the water.  The rest of us including Brad’s family, sat around talking and being entertained by the strange moving fish in the middle of the Jacuzzi. Acknowledging how tired we were, we left toward our rooms. It was then we all noticed that Bethie’s hair was green.  No worries, nothing that a warm shower wouldn’t fix. 

Hours later, both families met in the lobby to plan dinner. Bethie was a late, but finally slinked by the front desk with red, swollen eyes. It was then I saw her new garden glow.  Her long blonde hair had been transformed into long flowing lettuce leaves.  The Jacuzzi had dyed her hair!  I don’t mean a faint color of green, I mean GREEN!  The lobby was disconnected into a sea of strange interactions. I was trying to console Bethie, while her brother was beside himself with hysterics. To say that Bethie was horrified was a real understatement. She couldn’t block out the thought that in just six weeks she’d be walking down the aisle with hair looking like the inside of an Easter basket! Brad saw her falling apart. I guess he looked deeper than the rest of us.  He beheld her.

In the middle of trying to figure out what to do in lobby, Brad had disappeared.  He had slipped away to do something purposely in his compassion.  Some may have called it crazy, and some may have called it kind of cute. When we finally found Brad, his hair was dripping wet.  He had been out at the Jacuzzi dipping his head in the water.  If his bride was going to be green, then so would he.  They would go through it together.  We all laughed, but can I tell you he scored huge points with his lady?  He understood her.

What would compel this young man to do something so drastic? Simple – love.  He didn’t even quite think it through, he just reacted.  Well, our heavenly Father goes even further than a head of hair dipped in water when He beholds us.  He lived our life. Ever wonder if God “gets” you?   This is a God that knows what it is like to be rejected, to lose a loved one, to have to believe for each meal and be homeless, to have friends and family disappoint you, to have people question your gifts, and to be tormented by evil and Jesus certainly knew the full measure of pain. He understands because of His purpose driven life for us.  Once again, as I behold Him, I’m floored by the depths of His unending love and how He beholds you and me.


1 comment:

  1. OH my gosh Lynn!!! this is such a great story and the implications are amazing!! THANK YOU so much for writing this. I will dwell on it as I make my way down to the Sac airport for the 4th time in a week!!

    ReplyDelete