Friday, June 15, 2012

All through the Day....

There is nothing more touching for a grandma to hear, than her two year ago grand-daughter singing, especially if it is the same lullaby that I used to sing to her mother!   What a precious thing lullabies are and especially how they are used. I used to hold my babies tightly and would rock them until they were drained of the fight to stay awake.  Sometimes it involved endless crying and a wiggly struggle, but I always won. It was a sweet time of bonding.  There were moments between my children and I where I swear, we both synced up and almost become one.

 The lullaby I used to sing was a little different than the traditional ones.  It was a prayer and it went like this:
              
                      “All through the day
                       All through the night
                       Dwell in His promises
                       Walk in His Light
                   
                        Darkness shall flee
                       At His command
                       All through the Day 
                       And Night

                       We’re in His hands.”

Now when Karis – my granddaughter sings it, there is great emphasis on DAY, “NI” & “HANS”.  You get my point.  How did Karis learn this song since she is so little? Well, that’s an easy one; it had to be her momma.  She’s the only one that could teach her, I’m too far away.  Her mother must have sung it over her a million times – a little exaggeration here, but seriously how else could one so young learn it?

The thought of this melted my heart because I have started a gift for generations to follow.  Not only is it a sweet melody, but a powerful truth.  Even as a young momma at 22, I knew I had the responsibility of imparting good gifts to my children.  If I had all the gifts of heaven and earth, it still wouldn’t be enough.  Pretty sure, most parents feel this way and I know God does!

Zephaniah 3:17 says -

“The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.”

How wonderful is it that God sings over us! I’ve always heard that, but today I started thinking about it a little deeper- “What is He singing about?”  The God of love is most likely singing a song much like I did over my cherished ones.  Wow! How cool is that?  Let’s see some of the elements of the song I sang -this song covers some important thoughts:

• God is with us at every moment in grace or when darkness comes
• There is an instruction to stay in His word
• A Godly command to live their life as a Christian
• What to do when trouble comes
• Knowledge that God is a powerful protector
• Lastly, a reminder that God is so close you can feel His breath

Like Karis, I am learning “the song”.  The same song probably a million times until I get it right. I learn best when I settle down enough to follow the words with Him.  As my soul is quieted, I feel the strength of His arms lulling my troubles away.  The gentle rocking back and forth continues until a blessed peace sweeps across my face down to my toes.  The sweet fragrance of His breath lets me know He’s near and will be forever.  Who would guess that it is in these moments, that I am imparted with a message for generations to come?




1 comment: