Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Umbugelical Cord"

Umbungelical  Cord  
Definition:- the invisible cord in which a mother provides life giving advice, love and nurture to her children no matter the age.   This incredible cord has the ability to stretch to amazing lengths.  It will snatch the very core of her offspring and bounce them back to their mother’s heart.   Unlike an umbilical cord , it can never be severed. 
Today, I had a breakfast meeting with a friend from a network group.  She waited until the very end of the meeting after others had left to ask me to keep her in prayer.  I said, “sure”, “what’s up?”  I had expected something horrible and was ready to stand in the gap with prayer until heaven intervened.  With tears in her eyes, she said, (dramatic pause) “my daughter has announced she is moving to Washington.”  The fact is -her daughter is 24 and a great kid.   I smiled and encouraged her, but felt her pain.  The pain of distance as our loved ones move away from home or begin that new journey in life where they don’t  need us as much.
A week and a half ago, our youngest changed his status from dependent college student to husband.  I couldn’t be happier for him or my wonderful new daughter in law, however it tugs on the heart strings of a momma knowing he is not her little boy any longer.  I rest in the fact that my chubby little 2 year old that always made us laugh is now a grown man with dreams of his own -grounded in faith, family and friends.   Our shared umbungelical cord is intact!  

 Blessings Ben and Heather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment